EG1-Engines 8.3 C+ Basic SC-EN-1700-I
Cummins 8.3L Basic Computerized Engine Management Systems
Prerequisites: Familiarity with Multi-meters and Electrical I.
Course Description: This course is designed to give technicians the entry level skills needed to diagnose and repair the Cummins 8.3L CNG fuel system. The course covers sensors, actuators, pin-out voltage values and real world diagnostic applications. This course is essential for those seeking to learn more about fuel and timing delivery strategies employed by manufacturers. To gain a thorough understanding, upon completion of this course students should enroll into level II.
Course Benefits: The benefit of this course is designed to prepare the students to understand the electronic and safety aspects of working on Natural Gas fuel systems as used on the Cummins 8.3L engine. This class is a must for new technicians and those who are involved with diagnosis and repair of engine management and fuel delivery systems. Students will learn the proper and safe methods of working with the high pressure CNG fuel systems using the laptop diagnostic software specific to the Cummins controllers.
Who Should Attend: This course is intended for entry level technicians or those seeking to improve their knowledge on computerized engine management systems.
What You Will Learn:
- Unique characteristics of Natural Gas as an Alternative Fuel
- A basic understanding of the Theory of operation
- A basic understanding of the operation and diagnostic procedures of the 8.3 ignition system, fuel system, boost system and their components
- A basic understanding of sensor values
- A basic understanding of pin-out voltages
- A basic understanding of testing techniques
- A basic understanding of 8.3 actuator operational characteristics
- A basic understanding of 8.3 ignition system
- Introduction to Cummins “Insite” software
Number of Hours/Days: 24 Hours over 3 days
Continuing Education Units (CEU): 0